The Rev. “God d— America!” in Greensboro?

Dr. Joe GuarinoAn advertisement that recently appeared in the Greensboro News and Record has generated surprisingly little attention and discussion.

It seems that a local congregation, Providence Baptist Church on Tuscaloosa Street in east Greensboro, has been hosting anniversary and revival services over the last several days.  Howard Chubbs is the pastor of this particular church.  But this was apparently planned to be such a special time that a headline speaker from out of town was invited to lead these services.

Over the last several days, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright was scheduled to have been right here in Greensboro, serving as the main speaker at these services.  Wright, of course, used to serve as Pastor of the Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago.  He attained some degree of celebrity during the 2008 presidential campaign season.

Unfortunately, there has been little media coverage as of this writing that I have been able to discern.  It is difficult to know to what extent these services produced fruit for the kingdom.

It will be interesting to see whether this event is covered prominently in the local media; or whether it is somehow hoped that few will notice it even took place.

Dr. Joe Guarino is a Guardian columnist.

29 Responses to The Rev. “God d— America!” in Greensboro?

1. Roch says:

“One can scarcely imagine the kind of remarks Wright might have shared at these services; and the response of the congregation to these remarks.”

Aw, come on, imagine.

2. Dave McLean says:

What’s your point, Joe? I infer that you didn’t attend the services described. If you did, please let us know. Otherwise, we have to conclude that you’re subtly stirring the pot of racial division and attempting to cast African American churches as somehow less American than you would like.

The Reverend Chubbs that I’ve met and worked with is a very positive community steward, supporting a variety of private non-profit and charitable organizations.

The Reverend Wright is a citizen with First Amendment rights to say pretty much whatever he pleases.

At least have the courage to articulate precisely what you think is wrong with a visiting preacher. Or, perhaps rally a group to protest “Tuscaloosa Street in east Greensboro.”

3. Dave McLean says:

Charles, if you can, please add “on” to “on Tuscaloosa Street in east Greensboro.”

4. Dave, that’s the way it reads: “…on Tuscaloosa Street in east Greensboro.”

5. Dave McLean says:

Sorry, Charles, I meant in my post. I caught the omission after I submitted my comment and it was awaiting review.

6. Joe Guarino says:

Dave, I did not attend, but I would have liked to do so.

What is my point? I think there are several.

Rev. Wright has a firebrand, radical reputation. He embraces a type of theology that is questionable at best. He also was pastor of the church that acted as the political springboard for Obama in Chicago. (More has been reported about these things.) To be continued.

7. Joe Guarino says:

Imagine if a local conservative church had invited as a guest speaker someone who was a comparable firebrand from the right. Imagine what the local media reaction and coverage would have been.

What was this church saying when it invited such a figure? That they admire his style and his theology? That they admire the fact that his church played a role in fermenting the socialist revolution now taking place? I am afraid we might not like the answers to these questions.

The local media made an active decision not to cover this event. It was certainly newsworthy given Wright’s controversial reputation and the high profile he had during the 2008 campaign season. My suspicion is that the media did not cover it because it would have been unflattering to the left– of which this church apparently is part.

8. Dave McLean says:

Conservative churches and conservative groups bring firebrands to towns all over America, all the time. Our local Boy Scout Council hosted Oliver North just a few years ago. North, you will recall, was indicted only multiple felony charges, later reversed due to technicalities. I’d say North made more negative impact on America than a preacher with an axe to grind. General Greene Council ran BILLBOARDS for that.

What’s the difference? Providence Baptist Church is a privately funded non-profit just like the Boy Scouts. They hosted a national speaker and advertised it in the newspaper.

Trinity Church “springboarded” Obama’s career? Let’s just say, that’s doubtful at best.

Regardless, Rev. Wright’s comments quoted in the 2008 election had no impact on national security, involved no malfeasance and were said in the confines of his own church! As a white person, I could empathize with his sentiment. In fact, I think it was good for white people like you and me to discover that we’re not always praised for our egalitarianism to the degree we might expect.

But my biggest bone of contention with your post is that you DIDN’T attend and for all you know, Wright might have talked about golf.

When the socialists close down my private enterprise, I’ll believe your claims of “socialist revolution.” And I’m not sorry my upcoming colonoscopy will only cost me $20 ;-)

9. Fred Gregory says:

Don’t think the N&R would have ignored, David Duke speaking at a church or on a soap box in the downtown park.

Not only did the Providence Baptist church advertise Wrights forthcoming appearances but two reporters at the News and Record were given advance notice by a little bird.

The Carolina Plott Hound has picked up on the story

10. Bob Grenier says:

“As for the local media, I’m guessing it either wasn’t much of a news item relative to other events or you missed it.”

Translation: “The local media is as intellectually and academically bankrupt as I am..”

Based on past experience, there’s no big surprise finding that out..

11. Fred Gregory says:

I had a discussion with a N&R employee today who in so many words sloughed off the non-coverage of Wright as no big deal.

So I set about searching the archives for something about Jim Wallis , the Marxist preacher who ccording to Wallis, who is a leader of the religious left, “If you want to understand where Barack gets his feeling and rhetoric from, just look at Jeremiah Wright. ”

Although I don’t know if Wallis ever came to town the N&R saw it newsworthy tgo publish a story about a discussion of his book.

“BOOK DISCUSSION: SHOULD POLITICS, RELIGION MINGLE?
    Greensboro News & Record (NC) – Saturday, April 2, 2005
    Over the next two Sundays, Congregational United Church of Christ will read and discuss “God’s Politics” by author Jim Wallis – and the public is invited.

The discussion group meets from 4 to 5:30 p.m., Sunday and April 10, at the church, 400 W. Radiance Drive, Greensboro (274-5378). ”

Next the N&R publised a story about an invitation issued to the anti-semetic hate monger Minister
    Louis Farrakhan to speak at the New Light Church . Newsworthy ?. Maybe so.

“When parts of sermons appear on YouTube
    Greensboro News & Record ( NC ) – Saturday, April 5, 2008
    Author: Nancy H. McLaughlin

When the Rev. Cardes Brown invited Minister LouisFarrakhan , the controversial leader of the Nation of Islam, to the church he pastors, members told him they would leave. Walk out and not come back.

Brown was not moved.

“They did everything they could to keep me from doing that,” said the New Light Baptist Church pastor, who had invited Farrakhan because of his success in reaching out to wayward black men – prompting them to be more responsible in their households and communities.

“There are lots of things he has said that I don’ t agree with, but there are things he has said that I very much agree with,” said Brown, president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People in Greensboro, who was looking for solutions. “We have too many young ladies trying to be the head of the household.”

Those members didn’ t leave, in the same way that presidential contender Barack Obama didn’ t leave his church over remarks made by a pastor who has since achieved YouTube notoriety.

In sermon sound bites, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago uses language that others have taken to condemn his patriotism and question Obama’s”.

Yeah Joe you got a point ! I am sure there are other examples of selective coverage . It is disappointing though to see this continue under the new leadership down on East Market St.

12. Dave McLean says:

David Duke was Klansman, a member of a crime organization. Jeremiah Wright is a preacher with opinions.

If you don’t agree with Wright, make cardboard sign and protest.

13. Joe Guarino says:

Dave, Wright is not merely a “preacher with opinions”. He was considered to be so radioactive that Obama had to dump him aside– throw him under the bus– in the midst of his effort to be elected president.

And here is the interesting twist. It is by virtue of Obama’s alleged conversion as reflected by his membership in Wright’s church that we are to believe that Obama is a Christian. And the assertion of his Christianity was critical for the packaging of his political climb to the presidency. Wright and his church are square in the middle of that assertion.

14. Joe Guarino says:

Fred, yes, the Plott Hound site gave this story very prominent treatment. But the local media felt it was not newsworthy despite the fact that Wright was so radioactive that Obama had to dump him. And yet, here we have a local church inviting him to lead revival services.

Here is another hypothesis. Perhaps the local media is so far to the left that it effectively has ideological blinders. It refuses to see the outrageous nature of what Wright represents even though Obama clearly felt he had to throw him under the bus to win the presidency.

15. Dave McLean says:

Obama had to denounce Wright because a paranoid segment of white voters couldn’t deal with his honest emotions about racial inequality. And, Obama probably DID think some of Wright’s comments were harsher than his own beliefs. Do you agree with everything your clergy says?

Regardless, I think you and some “Guardian” readers may be the only ones who think this is an issue worthy of news coverage by a daily newspaper working with a skeleton crew.

I also think that most of those who were initially afraid of the ethnically ambiguous candidate Obama have simply decided to move on to more relevant issues, since our son-of-an-immigrant president won a second term.

If it still bothers you, please write a letter to the editor, indicting Reverend Chubbs for un-American activities. I could stand to liven up my breakfast with an op-ed donnybrook ;-)

16. Bob Grenier says:

It’s not the “ethnically” ambiguous candidate Obama that concerns us. It’s the ethically challenged president Obama that concerns us.

Your contributions here? Not so much.

17. Joe Guarino says:

Your comments are remarkable, Dave, but… whatever you say…

18. Titus Quinctius Cincinnatus says:

“Jeremiah Wright be a racist, divisive, hatemongering, disgusting manure sack excuse for a human being who embodies everything that is wrong with the sick, sin-infested human heart, but by gum, he’s OUR racist, divisive, hatemongering, disgusting manure sack excuse for a human being who embodies everything that is wrong with the sick, sin-infested human heart!”

Eh, Dave?

19. Titus Quinctius Cincinnatus says:

Bob – Exactly. Notice that Dave is a typical left-winger: incapable of actually making a logical argument, so he has to tie everything back into an emotional concept like “race” to get around his own ethical and intellectual shortcomings.

20. Dave McLean says:

Remarkable would describe the McCarthy-esque tone of the OP in 2013. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s taken as a compliment, though.

21. Dave McLean says:

Actually, Titus, I don’t think Wright was a racist in any of the comments that I read or heard. I think you and others might be surprised to learn that a lot of black people resent racial inequalities for good reason.

Do you suggest that white people in power have never intentionally marginalized black citizens? Is this what you believe?

22. It seems to me that the real issue here is not Rev. Wright’s freedom to speak–he has every right to make a fool of himself–but the fact that Barack Obama happily sat and listened to Wright’s vile nonsense for years. What a man is willing to listen to, read, and watch says something about the character of the man, does it not? Most of us, sitting in a church and accosted by such hateful rhetorc, would immediately stand up and walk out. Obama didn’t. Why not?

23. Dave McLean says:

First of all, you don’t know what sermons Obama attended and what comments he was present for. Second of all, nothing I’ve seen Wright say on video has offended me. “God damn America”? Well, in the context of a black man considering our history of racial discrimination (slavery, Jim Crow, forced sterilization, medical experiments, etc.) I can empathize with his anger.

Third of all, Joe admits he hasn’t a clue about what Wright said in Greensboro.

Oliver North was indicted for Iran-Contra and, in my personal opinion is a right-wing nut-job, but the Boy Scouts invited him to speak.

What’s the big deal here?

24. Dave McLean says:

And then there’s the fact that America elected and reelected President Barack Hussein Obama. Evidently, most people these days don’t care what church the president attended.

25. William H. Edwards says:

Dave, if you seriously cannot see the difference between Oliver North and Reverend Wright, then there is no need to proceed with further discussion on the matter.

26. Dave McLean says:

William, you actually illustrate my point. I find North as repugnant as you find Wright, so, again, what’s the problem?

27. William H. Edwards says:

That’s easy, Dave…your mental health. You might detest Col. North for whatever reason, but the pure hatred and vile spouted by Rev. Wright is detestable and in extremely bad taste, no matter how you try to spin it. Seeing an equivalence between the two is both twisted and bizarre.

28. Dave McLean says:

William, one was a convicted felon who sold out his country in a well-intentioned (in HIS mind) scam, the other is a preacher in an average big city church who made righteous comments (in HIS mind) about white dominance over blacks.

Just curious, can you quote what you considered “pure hatred and vile” that was “spouted” by Wright?

I get the impression that a lot of American whites had no idea that some blacks might express some contempt towards whites.

Sometimes when I see the defensive reactions of some white people, I have to think Wright had a point.

29. Triadwatch says:

Winston sAlem journal actually has a story on reverend wright